ED or QED was useful for it's simple of creating small scripts to automate some editing (like removing all CR characters from the end of a line).

For more advanced features, I'd recommend MicroEmacs. The version for the QL support the PE and allows the use of the mouse. It has scripting capabilities too.

As for tools for SuperBasic programming, I've got to shamelessly mention Structured SuperBasic, which is a pre-processor for SuperBasic programs that does thinks like line numbering, IF DEF statements (like C), and a tool that allows it to be called from within MicroEmacs.

Tim Swenson