From: "John Gilpin" <thegilp...@btinternet.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 29, 2011 3:15 PM
To: "ql-users" <ql-us...@q-v-d.com>
Subject: [Ql-Users] Finally a reply - from the Treasurer

Having read with interest Geoff Wicks' musings about the errors in QUANTA's ways, I would like to give you all, the facts that both me and the QUANTA Committee considered to be in accordance with the current (at that time) QUANTA Constitution.

I joined the QUANTA Committee in April 2001 - see copy of the minutes of the A. G. M. for that year - as an ordinary Committee member and was asked to take on the duties of (head) librarian - there being no other librarians anyway.

At the A. G. M. in the following year - 2002 - following the resignation of both Bill Newell and John Taylor I was nominated as Treasurer to the QUANTA Committee - a post that was amalgamated with that of Membership Secretary - two posts that were seen to be connected by the payment of subscription and the handling of QUANTA funds.

Similarly, the posts of Software Controller and Librarian were also combined - a post undertaken by the then Software Controller John Gregory which meant that I relinquished my previous role of Librarian.

Early in 2005, QUANTA Committee discussed and then decided that moves ought to be put in place to limit the length of time served by committee members (Officers and Ordinary members) with the result that members were asked to approve Special Resolution No. 1 (Changes to clause 5 of the QUANTA Constitution) at the A. G. M. in April 2005. The original discussions on this topic came from comments heard that the QUANTA Committee were getting stale and had nothing further to offer.The Resolution was approved and the Constitution was duly updated and re-issued to all members in February 2006 as Issue 2 Revision 0. This revision was deemed to be effective from that date.

At the date of the A. G. M. 2009, both John Mason (Chairman) and John Gilpin (Treasurer), under the new clause 5 of the constitution were due to stand down and in accordance with Clause 5.5 they, JM & JG, by agreement decided that John Mason would stand down since he had served slightly longer than John Gilpin on the Committee without a break.

The following year (April 2010), having served continuously on the committee since 2001, (over 6 years) and as an officer since 2002 (over three years), John Gilpin tendered his resignation from the committee (under clauses 5.2 and 5.4 of the constitution). At this point, April 2010, John Gilpin's QUANTA membership status reverted to that of Ordinary Member.There were no nominations for the post of Treasurer/Membership Secretary and immediately following the A. G. M. the new committee held a meeting where they co-opted John Gilpin (Ordinary Member) onto the committee under clause 5.8. By agreement of all concerned, John Gilpin was asked to carry out the duties of Treasurer/Membership Secretary until "The Next A. G. M." - see clause 5.8. - to see if anyone had decided to take on this role.

One has to pay quite a lot of money to have clauses drafted which are word perfect with no errors and/or ambiguities by a professional and the committee having submitted the Special resolution approved at the AGM in 2005 to it's members and having not received any requests to amend the same the then committee deemed that the suggested modifications were adequate for the purpose intended - to limit the time served on the committee to six continuous years for ordinary committee members of which not more than three continuous years may be served as an officer

With all Geoff Wicks' working experience as an officer of the British law Courts, surely he could have spotted what he seems to feel are these anomalies while they were still at committee stage and suggest further discussion (even if that would have meant putting any ill feeling between himself and other Committee member(s) in abeyance for a while!) rather than find objections some six years later.

My suggestion to him and any other QUANTA Members now is this: If there is anything about QUANTA that you don't understand or that you disapprove of then drop a line to the Secretary expressing your concerns and give the Committee the opportunity to discuss the matter(s) instead of joining the vast majority of QUANTA Members in their apathy. Perhaps he could also suggest the basis of a Special resolution to be put before the Members at the coming A. G. M. in April in order to remove what he feels are errors in the constitution.. What we DON'T want is a document which is far more wordy and difficult to understand than the one we already have.

QUANTA's Constitution is NOT written in stone. All it needs is for a member, be they ordinary member, committee member or Officer, to propose a Special resolution to be put before the members at a General Meeting (A. G. M.or Special General Meeting) for approval as has happened on numerous occasions in the past, but DON'T leave it to someone else to do and then criticise their efforts because no one else had the guts to get up and be counted.

To me it seems that those with any views at all on this topic and that of winding up QUANTA are already voting without being asked or are they merely offering their fingers to Geoff to be counted?

See you all at the A. G. M. in April for the next thrilling instalment.

Regards to all,

John Gilpin
QUANTA Treasurer.