On 30 Jan 2011, at 10:05, Rich Mellor wrote:

> On 30/01/2011 09:29, gdgqler wrote:
>> On 29 Jan 2011, at 20:24, Geoff Wicks wrote:
>>
>>> Can a person who has been appointed treasurer of Quanta in a breach of the
>>> constitution - a legally binding document - legally sign cheques under
>>> British law?
>> If the bank accepts the signature it doesn't matter whether it is legally
>> binding or not.
>>
>> Many years ago Standard Life and Scottish Widows jointly owned a computer.
>> Every year an AGM was held. There were just three people there and I was
>> one. There were supposed to be directors and shareholders. The Scottish
>> Widows representative was a stickler for accuracy and protocol. He was
>> filled to the brim with chagrin when, one year, it was pointed out that all
>> the meetings to date were invalid because of some legal technicality such as
>> shareholders not being present or having sent  proxies.
>>
>> The moral is that the legal situation does not matter at all unless someone
>> complains.
>>
>> George
>>

> I like the story - however, why would a jointly owned computer need an AGM ??

A company was set up jointly owned by Scottish Widows and Standard Life to run
the computer.

When the computer was being built, representatives of the two offices went to
see the work in progress. They were rather annoyed to see the notice attached
to their machine. It read "Scottish Life", a different company in Edinburgh.

George