From: "Rich Mellor" <r...@rwapservices.co.uk>
Sent: Saturday, January 29, 2011 8:45 PM
To: <ql-us...@q-v-d.com>
Subject: Re: [Ql-Users] Finally a reply

On 29/01/2011 12:54, Geoff Wicks wrote:

From: "Rich Mellor" <r...@rwapservices.co.uk>
Sent: Friday, January 28, 2011 10:05 PM
To: <ql-us...@q-v-d.com>

Actually, I disagree and this is where the constitution is badly worded - ordinary members is also used to describe members of Quanta, not just the committee and I would therefore interpret this clause to mean that the Committee can fill vacancies by [co-opting members of Quanta] to the Committee - ordinary members is used in clause 4.1 to refer to the membership of Quanta (or are you suggesting that only the spouse of officers could ever be an associate member?

In fact the wording of clause 5.0 uses the term 'other members' to refer to the members of the committee who are not officers - nowhere is the term 'ordinary members' used in this sense.

- It's discussions like this that I used to love when I was a solicitor and/or company secretary - invariably the person asking the question never wants to hear the official answer which always has to be "well it CAN be interpreted as...." - nothing is ever definite when it comes to the law, that's why in pages of legal documentation, you never see full stops, commas, or semicolons - it leaves it more open to interpretation - and more money for the solicitors!

Actually Rich we are not in such disagreement. Your original reply jogged my memory and when I posted the interpretation of the constitution last year I stumbled over that point. Did "ordinary member" mean an ordinary member of the committee or a non-committee member? In fact I asked a series of questions that the committee should look at for clarification thinking that if they could do that in advance it would make it easier to avoid problems by any co-option.

Thank god this discussion is now becoming serious and tackling issues that it should do.

A lot of people think law in black and white, but it is more shades of grey than anything else and that is how lawyers become rich,

Best wishes,

Geoff