On 1/30/2011 10:48 AM, Malcolm Cadman wrote:
Were Officers to be elected, directly, at an AGM, it would open the door
to someone incompetent to get voted in, or some collusion to take place.

Interesting, as California State code for Non-profits pretty much specifies that members vote on officers and the board. It is only the members that can make any changes to the By-laws.

I'm guessing that the AGM is the same as a General Member Meeting. Most non-profits have one every year for elections. In one non-profit I'm involved with, rarely does a regular member attend these meetings and only the Board members show up (even with the required notification sent out).

Tim Swenson