On Tue, 6 Mar 2001 at 21:31:05, Bill Waugh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
(Ref: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)

>2. There are too few abattoirs
>fact - the 1967 outbreak resulted in over 2000 cases and we had lots
>more abattoirs then
.... but  all the outbreaks in 1967 were in a confined area.
>From the map the BBC showed, they were all in an area that looked like
NW Wales?

They (the BBC) said that the current outbreak is more widespread due to
fewer abattoirs.

It looks like there are no new cases now not linked to movements prior
to the clamp-down.  That is _very_ good news isn't it?

Looks like there will be far fewer cases than 1967. Keeping my fingers
crossed.

My work with the local canal restoration society has stopped, as their
main site is next to a farm.

Bill Cable's visit to me next week will involve a canal trip only.
We can't walk _anywhere_ around here, and Whipsnade is shut.

>fact - it has been easier to track the movement of animals due to fewer
>abattoirs and the animal passport system now used
>
>4. Why don't they vaccinate
>fact - it is a LIVE vaccine
>fact - some animals vaccinated would become carriers
>fact - susceptible wild animals that weren't vaccinated would become
>infected
>fact - the vaccine covers one strain only just like a flu vaccine.

... and BBC (again) said that vaccinated animals are difficult to
differentiate from ill animals when meat is tested.  Something to do
with antibodies?

BTW my uncle had a farm in Rhydlewis, nr Llandysul, and I spent many
happy hours as a youngster on his tractor. He was a rocket engineer most
of the time in Aberporth.  An interesting man (8-)#
--
           QBBS (QL fido BBS 2:257/67) +44(0)1442-828255
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://www.firshman.demon.co.uk