Nasta wrote:

>Let's also remember that users that do not have a Q40/60 may also
>want CD access. Not everyone has (or for that matter can have or wants)
>Linux on their QL compatible hardware.

I think most of us are well aware of this. *If* a plain QDOS/SMSQ
CD-recording software gets written, that is the best, of course!

Knowing that such a software is not trivial, I just thought of a simple
alternative for Q40 / Q60 users that would use a minimized Linux solution
just for CD-Recording, without forcing the user to install or know Linux.
To have a CD-Writing solution (directly callable from SMSQ!) that uses a
Linux kernel/ramdisk is better than having no solution at all. I do not
think we should forget such possibilities for Q40/Q60 users, just because
the other QL hardware platforms do not have the same.

Thierry has already explained that his initially Q40/Q60 specific work
could be ported to other QL hardware. It may lead to CD read-access for
GC/SGC. So if Q40/Q60 *SMSQ* users can write a CD, with a Q40/Q60 specific
solution ("hidden" Linux), and this CD is readable on the other QL hardware
platforms, that seems to be progress for all. Why not?

BTW, GC/SGC do not seem especially well-suited for CD-Recording (data
rate!), so being Q40/Q60 specific for such steps toward CD-Recording
doesn't hurt them too much.

Peter