At 10:13 PM 6/27/2001 -0400, Nasta wrote:
>SCSI is another related example. A SCSI host adapter does nothing of
>itself, but may have many different devices connected to it, that all
>require treatment by essentially different drivers.

Just to expand on what Nasta said, different drivers (such as disk or tape)
utilize the SCSI controller to talk with their respective devices.  The
controller is opened as a device and just handles the SCSI conversation
between the devices and their drivers.  I've done some  SCSI Bus trace
analysis so I'm familiar with how the protocol works.  I wrote an article
for Sys Admin mag on the subject if anyone wants to know more.

Tim Swenson