> Wafer memory...
"Wafer Scale Integration" I believe he referred to it as at the time.
An ambitious project back then (maybe even today) because it requires
flawless wafer sized pieces of silicon.  Even though silicon is the
earth's most abundant (or second or whatever) element, the cost of
fabrication of silicon integrated circuits is related to the yield of
working chips from each wafer. Even some of those that fail to make the
grade can sometimes pass at lower clock rates and can be marked and
sold as lower spec.  With wafer scale, it's all or nothing. The
rejection rate must be huge, and that is probably what ate most of his
investment in plant - the production of flawless silicon wafers.

Ian.

related financial instruments.