In message <00ae01c1570c$3550db00$c7075cc3@default>, Dilwyn Jones
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>Roy Wood wrote:
>>I was told that, just before the QL was due for release, someone
>showed
>>Sir Clive one of the 'new' 3.5" drives and said it would fit into the
>>same space as the microdrives. He is reported to have said 'That will
>>never catch on'
>
>Last year I saw a QL with a 3.5 inch disk drive in place of the
>microdrives, not sure if it was Alex Wells at a Quanta workshop? It
>was mentioned in QL Tady at some point but a quick scan through failed
>to find.
>
>It definitely can be done with patience and dexterity.

Well spotted, Dilwyn.

I am pretty sure that Sinclair also developed a few prototypes for
internal testing, etc, that included disk drives ... although whether
they were 'working' ones, or just 'dummies' I couldn't say.

I will try and check this out sometime, as I still know the industrial
designer who worked on the QL project for Sinclair.

--
Malcolm Cadman