On  Wed, 24 Oct 2001 at 22:56:10,  Malcolm Cadman wrote:
(ref: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)

>In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes
>>
>>Malcolm Cadman wrote:-
>>
>>>Shows how quickly you can get out of touch ... :-) ... wasn't Freddy one
>>>of the 'leading lights' in the QL world for some time ?
>>
>>Yep. Most of the decent software for years was produced by either DP or a
>>bloke called Dilwyn Jones of DJC (whoever he is) :-)) I remember the way
>>Freddy could put away food too, 2 or 3 plates at a time!
Indeed.

I will _never_ forget him on foreign trips.

6:30 am at the 'Cap de Nuit' in Brussels.  We arrive just in time- they
_close_ at 7am.  Freddy has the statutory three omelettes - and gives
away the 'rabbit food'

The pile of egg/bacon at the Eindhoven motel - a good 9 inches high.
How come he did not f**t all day (8-)#

Bus load of suspicious IRA looking people in a Transit on the way back
from Eindhoven.  I was happily joking with quite a dishy customs lady
about the bomb making equipment in my electrical toolbox.  Freddy
marches up and announces (in his humorous way that we all knew) "You
have no right to do all this to him".  Nice friendly lady turns into a
'real' customs officer.

Overnight ferry to Zeebrugge.  At 4am I fall asleep watching Freddy
talking (at his usual express pace to three remaining sleepy people.
I wake up at 05:30 and Freddy is still talking at them - but I could
swear they were asleep!

Driving at a good 95mph round the Brussels Ring, with cars passing to
the left and right of me.  He was grabbing my arm and saying 'faster,
faster'.  The car was pretty new, and he actually was impressed at the
quietness and smoothness at that speed - quite something for Freddy to
like a Volvo.  He was used to his explosive Mazda with rock suspension.
No ordinary car - he got it half price 'cos the person selling it didn't
realise it was a special ZX. it did 180mph, and he had proved it many
times.
He did wheelies in a hotel car park after a QL show - just to show what
it could do.  He said he was doing 50 in a small circle.
He was _very_ proud of escaping from a whole batch of police cars on the
M20 - where he averaged 145 into London.
I escorted him back from a Paddington car park to home.  Down a round
parallel to the station (from Bishops Bridge Road to Praed Street),  he
was upset about my getting one car ahead of him. With Ben in his 'racing
car' he did 80 mph round the wrong side of a keep left sign.

What have I forgotten?

Life is so much quieter without him.

--
            QBBS (QL fido BBS 2:257/67) +44(0)1442-828255
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://www.firshman.demon.co.uk