Dexter wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been sat like a hawk on Ebay waiting for a QL to come up for auction.
> I recall the US QLs had a different ROM version and PSU, but are their any
> other differences?

US TVs use NTSC (Never Twice Same Color; with 525 lines, Horiz Freq
15.734kHZ) whereas UK TVs use PAL (with 625 lines, Horiz Freq 15.625kHz)
(checkout http://www.bnoack.com - a mine of tech data), so the TV output
(modulator) MUST be different.  Assuming US build QLs had a similar list of
screen outputs (TV, Colour monitor, B/W [monocrome] monitor, RGB), then a UK
QL's TV & Colour [PAL] monitor will be unusable.

I think that ULA ZX8301 generates the 50Hz (vertical sync) interrupt (along
with the screen display) and the system (CPU) clock, so I suspect there may
be a different US version <hastily rushes back to shallow end of pool :-)>.

Hope I don't sound too much of a killjoy; are there any hardware gurus who
can confirm/deny these suspicions?