On Sun, 06 Jan 2002 15:00:22 -0500, ZN wrote:

> On 1/6/02 at 7:12 PM Thierry Godefroy wrote:
>
> .../... for Aurora (there, it
> >looks like someone took for granted that once Aurora would be available,
> >TT would write the screen drivers for free, the result is: no enhanced
> >screen driver for Aurora!)
>
> Actually, TT was probably the very first person to receive the Aurora
> specs, while it was still a prototype, and a long way from production.
> Result: NOTHING. Not even an answer. For all I know, there was a shredder
> linked to the output of his fax machine, since that was the only way he
> communicated (if that could be called communication) at the time.

I'm afraid this is still the case...  ;-(

> Maybe I should ave promised money? Not that I am faulting TT, because I _DO_
> understand his posittion. OTOH, I never really dealt with the people who
> wrote the software myself, rather that was done by Ron Dunnett. Originally,
> I really wanted to make the specs completely public, but since I did get
> signals about more colors (for the QXL, though) from different sources, I
> decided to give the specs to only a few people, until I made them freely
> available on my (ex) web site. Guess what: NOTHING, for years.

Actually, the graphic cards device drivers are probably the most complicated
and sophisticated ones (especially when you take all "ancillary" extensions
into account, such as the pointer environment)... I for one would hesitate
to write such a driver from scratch (there the sources availibilty of existing
drivers is more than a critical prerequisite) !  I think that the only one
who is able to write such drivers is... TT himself (with the QXL or Q40 SMSQ/E
sources, I guess this could be implemented in a few days...).

> IMHO before
> the community was largely web connected, waiting for a response before the
> hardware was built, would mean the hardware never would have gotten built
> in the first place. The situation is a little bit different now, not as
> much as you would think:
>
> > Note that this is not always the case (Nasta did publish the GoldFire
> > specs and asked for advices)...
>
> And got VERY little. I am sure once the GoldFire becomes available, I will
> hear no end to complaints about decisions made in it's design. However, at
> this point, as detailed as the descriptions are (and they need to be to
> make it possible to write software for it or decide about any aspect that
> should be changed), they seem to be too detailed to have many people bother
> actually reading them.

Mind you, I did download all the specs of the GF a while ago (you even sent
me some) and I did read _some_ but, here again, time is the limiting factor
;-(

> This is highly disconcerting considering there are aspects of GF that are
> 'new' to SMSQDOS.

I must confess, that I do like a lot the onboard Ethernet concept... :-)

> For instance, people will complain about disk operations
> stopping everything, but when a solution is offered to this problem, which
> involves hardware (and unfortunately, this is the only way to address it),
> and associated changes to the drivers (or better yet OS because the feature
> introduced is generally usefull), the feedback equals more or less zero
> (with notable exceptions).

Yes, I think I can remmember about a few emails we exchanged about the GF
design and interrupts management...  ;-)

> I certainly hope this is not the way open
> hardware developement on the QL is going to work.

So I hope as well, or better abandon any hope for new QL hardware in the
future !

> >What I would really love to see are open specs of hardware before it is
> >actually prototyped, so that software writers have a chance to spot
> >the potential programming difficulties/limitations and warn the designer
> >about them before it is too late...
>
> Well, there's the GF stuff - feel free to open fire.

But as much as I can understand, the actual specs are quite a bit outdated
(ColdFire based, while the processor of your choice is now a 68EC060 IIRC),
aren't they ?  ;-)

> >Soon the motivation will result from the choice: PCI support or no more
> >cheap add-ons for the "QL" plateforms...
> >But you are right, many things are still to be implemented, even in the
> >current Q40/Q60 design. ;-)
>
> This begs the question: WHAT PCI expansion devices do you want to see on a
> QL platform? I would be willing to bet they could easily be numbered on the
> fingers of one hand... and that most of these already exist, just in QL
> speciffic form.

I don't deal with the present situation (there are still a few ISA cards
available), but with the _future_ one: if there is no PCI-based successor
to the Q60, then what the hell a future (say in five years) Q60 buyer will
be able to use with it ?  No ISA card = no floppy, no harddisk, no serial
port, no parallele port, no network, no nothing but graphic, sound and
keyboard !

> I am not opposed to PCI on a QL hardware platform as a bus, rather as a
> bunch of connectors into which the user can plug in any old PCI card and
> then expect it to magically work - this is like opening a can of worms.

I am not prentending that "we" (TT, Mark, George, Wolfgang, myself, ...add
any remaining assembly programmer I forgot here...) should implement ALL
PCI cards (and moreover all brands and models) support: this is next to
impossible (even for a handfull of excellent assembly programmers working
full time for a full year) !  I just say that we _could_ support _some_
(OK, let's say "just a very few") basic PCI cards (I/O, Ethernet, Sound,
perhaps even simple graphic cards).

> .../...
> The situation would be somewhat different if one decided to use a certain
> chip that just happens to be PCI based on a new QL 'motherboard'. In this
> case, although you are still subject to chip availability, at least you
> only go through the above 'design process' only once - and of course,
> starting off with a ship that you CAN get data for.

Amen !   ;-)

QDOS/SMS forever !

Thierry.