On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, ZN wrote:

> I was thinking about a SMSC 91C96 - works with 8 and 16 bit busses, has
> more buffer memory, and most important: it's 99.9% software compatible with
> the 10/100 non-PCI 91C111 (the only non-PCI 'all-in-one' 10/100 I know of)

I've used the SMC91C94, and I've checked out the spec sheets but can't
pinpoint any vital differences. If they're very similar, an FDC37C655
could provide parallel, serialx2, IDEx2, irda, with a couple of MAX232's,
four 74HCT245's and a 74HCT245. But, that would cost way more than the
multifunction cards they're already buying... ;)

> On the GoldFire it's an 8-bit implementation to ease routing.

Oooh, details... :)

One thing I always ask, and ask too late... Please provide a compact
alternative to the ISA socket, because the length of the connector forces
a practical minimum size on any board designer, and size costs...

For example, the 7500FE board I'm working on now has an ISA-like
connector, and beside, it has two 96DIN connectors so people can make
reasonable sized 3.75x6.25" or 3.75x3.125" cards.

Also, I noticed the 68060's are available in a variety of packages now.
What's the preference?

Dave