Thanks for all the information that's been posted in response to mine
and others' questions on this subject.  I've certainly learned a lot
that I never knew before.

Even though soldering all those wires onto veroboard is so tedious,
especially when trying to pick up where you left of if you can't
complete the job in one session (I usually write a list of connections
to tick off as I do them, but invariably get engrossed and do a whole
bunch without ticking them off), it's probably the easiest way with
just primitive gear - as long as they keep making ICs in DIL packages...

I'm largely ignorant of the analogue side of circuit design - induction
effects (which I hadn't even considered until I read it here), input &
output capacitance (info you see in the DC Characteristics tables of
the datasheets).  I'm surprised my spaghetti-heaps of wires and ICs
work at all as I just connect up the logic and leave the rest to luck
(I do remember to use decoupling capacitors though).

I like Peter's idea of a tutorial on building Q40 add-ons.  I'd like it
to be in QL Today though  :o)

Ian.

P.S.  I've been getting more and more disappointed with Maplin, who
have been steadily discontinuing their lines of older ICs.  They now
only supply microcontrollers, a very limited range of SRAM up to 128k x
8 and the range of crystals and crystal oscillators is seriously
depleted.
RS Components (www.rswww.com) still carries a broad range including
many of the old 8 bit MPUs and peripheral chips, sourced from OKI.

related financial instruments.