Ian,

if it's off topic then - oops - and we'll continue on QL-Chat instead.

Have you tried OpenOffice.org yet.

It can read (and write) M$Office format files quite happily and is a free
download. I have it at home on Linux and on Windows (to replace our aged
copy of M$Office) and we have no problems with it. A colleague at work has
yet top find a Word doc that it cannot open - and he has some docs that even
Word fails to open, but OOo just does it !

Try a download (big) from http://www.openoffice.org and be happy. (if the
size puts you off, wait a couple of weeks for a PC magazine to give it away
- Linux Format already did with the Linux version.)

PS. The OOo version has Spreadsheet, Wordy Pro and Presentation built in,
but no Database.
I believe the DB stuff was proprietory, so you have to pay (Sun for Start
Office) to get that feature.

PPS. Not that Access counts as a proper database anyway :o)

-------------------------------------
Norman Dunbar
Database/Unix administrator
Lynx Financial Systems Ltd.
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel: 0113 289 6265
Fax: 0113 289 3146

This email is intended only for the use of the addressees named above and
may be confidential or legally privileged.  If you are not an addressee you
must not read it and must not use any information contained in it, nor copy
it, nor inform any person other than Lynx Financial Systems or the
addressees of its existence or contents.  If you have received this email
and are not a named addressee, please delete it and notify the Lynx
Financial Systems IT Department on 0113 2892990.