??? 11/11/2002 2:33:34 ??, ?/? Dave P <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ??????:

>Hi all,
>
>While I've done a lot of work on look-and-feel stuff for Qeymail, there
>are some behind the scenes things I'm not too sure about. Where three or
>four strategies exist to solve a problem, different solutions will benefit
>different types of user, and I want to create the best experience for the
>largest number of people possible.
>
>The main area is the actual storage method for emails. Would people prefer
>a single file holding all emails, individual files for each email, which
>would be indexed on startup, or individual files plus a maintained index?

One single file would simplify storage, preferably stored as a markup language text
file
of sorts (so it can accomodate different codepages etc..). After that you can have an
export function (like Netscape or Eudora for example) to extract the specific message
if
the user wants.

>Each has plusses and minuses. Discuss.
>
>Second, multiple mail boxes. Is the ability to send/receive from multiple
>mailboxes useful or not? What about "profiles" where one profile is
>accessed at a time, or is the ability to access multiple mailboxes
>simultaneously 'very important' to you?

Well that wouldn't complicate things too much would it? I mean think about it..
combined
with a single storage mailbox file (well actually one for each "folder" per se, you
only
need to add an entry on which user this pertains to.

>Finally, how important would it be to use a pointer environment, or would
>you be happy to use industry standard CTRL-key combinations?

Although at first it seems simpler to make a standard non-PE program, using tools like
Q-Menu and EASYPTR would simplify your developing process significantly...

Phoebus

P.S. I have the answer to your question (the one you asked yesterday before we got on
AIM... ICQ me for details...)