On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, TonyTebby wrote:

> OK, so if the open source system is working fine, why are some people
> making such of fuss????

Hi Tony,

I'm one of the people making one of the fusses. It's a very simple fuss
and is well intentioned :o)

I'm worried that the "all features should be available to all platforms"
approach gives us a lowest common denominator result. There aren't any
really good examples, because all of this is talk about future hardware
that doesn't exist yet, but it turns it into a question of how fast SMSQ/E
can be run, instead of what new things can we get it to do?

For example, it would be nice to see SMSQ used in embedded systems, and in
desktop machines, although both require quite different hings from the OS.
If someone where to, say, make a TVToy, they should be able to drop all of
the redundant modules of SMSQ and alter others as appropriate, and submit
to Wolfgang and have an official branch for that specific application. It
would not help the main SMSQ branch much, but it would result in license
fees. Why use a horse to round up sheep that bite you, when a dog will do?
:o)

> This, of course, does not stop generous users or groups offering such
> developers donations to encourage them to make improvements that they
> would like to see, does it?

I concur that people making contributions to SMSQ conditional on income
back to them is short sighted. My very, very humble opinion.

Dave