No objections whatsoever to your use of the Trash can concept. Just
remember to mention that despite the name, it is definitely NOT the
same as the Qubide Trashcan. (I couldn't think of a decent name other
than Trash or Recycle!)

All for standardisation!

The Trash system is now basically up and running, the program compiled
OK, and the standard Trash is WIN1_*_ but the name can be up to 10
characters long to allow the Trash to be on a single digit network
station if required (e.g. a cluster of QLs only one having a hard
disk). The Trash is a 'one for all' solution, files from any drive are
dumped into that one Trash can, with the option (configurable) of the
files being named by just filename (option 1), directory name+filename
(option 2), or drive+directory+filename (option 3). If you go for a
different Trash on each drive, option 3 definitely not required!

I'm looking at how feasible a 'delete files older than xxx days'
option might be. It's likely it'll be a loose item in the Commands
menu which only becomes active if that window is displaying the Trash.
I'm not too sure how to handle file dates, I feel a small learning
curve coming on! Basically, it'll work from whatever date the file was
put into Trash.

Main thing though is that it's kept simple. The file that goes into
the Trash can really will be a last ditch disaster recovery file, no
original dates stored, the only path info being the filename as
copied. In that sense I'm disregarding the 'for it to be useful it has
to do x and y clever things' requests which will involve creating
extra bytes in the file or some form of index file stored in Trash.
Trash is simply 'Move File Into A Directory Rather Than Delete' not a
full recycle bin.

--
Dilwyn Jones