This sounds as if it was an older mac. It probably has a slightly different connector also (round). Any replacement printer will need to have drivers for it.

There are some serial to USB converters I believe on the market, but then most of the newer printers that have USB may not have drivers for the version of the OS that this customer's mac has. Perhaps it may be time to update more than just the printer (either to a new mac and/or a new QL type would do - good thing I don't have a vested interest in either one :) ).

jim