Norman Dunbar makes some magical things to make me read
}
} The Epson Stylus 800 was indeed a Parallel printer - I had one. I think, but
} I'm not sure, that there was a serial interface available for it.

Jumping the technology back to the early age of QL, we had a serial to parallel
converter then for your black hero!
But classical serial speed is really slow for the amount of colour printing data
of today (especially with the top 2880x2880 or 5760x1440/720 dpi).
Laser printer with postscript are easier to feed (especially when they have their own
founts), alas they are so expensive and the colour is rare for laser.