On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 00:12:06 +0100, J. Sadler wrote:

> There was ana article in QL World on creating linked lists using basic.
> However the snag is that you would have to traverse the list to get a given
> element.
>
> What about using a special data structure where each member of the aray was
> stored independantly and you had an array of pointers to each member of the
> the array.
> The array of pointers could be the maximum size ever needed and each new
> item in the array can be created when required.
> This would give the advantage of speed while reducing the memory required to
> a compromise between the maximum requred and the minimum to hold the array.

I did write such a toolkit (SBASIC extensions) and used it in ACP (Archivers
Control Panel) for maintaining the file lists. I could release the toolkit but
it currently lacks a proper doc, and I wanted to make it an extension thing
(that was when I still had some time to develope under SMSQ/E...).

If you someone able to read French is willing to write an English doc based
on the source file headers for each PROC/FN, then I'm ready to send them the
code and the said headers.

The toolkit also provides with list sorting and allows to fill the list via
a deamon and a pipe (you can output strings to the channel of the pipe and
they got put into the linked list).

QDOS/SMS forever !

Thierry Godefroy ([EMAIL PROTECTED]).