Dear Geoff,

lots of things need to be said, but two are most important:

1. You will be missed.

2. I am glad I can return the compliment of the fact, that you never let me down too. And I believe that applies to your customers too.

Pity you did not come to many of the pre/after-show events, especially at Eindhoven. Maybe you would have re-considered your decision (still time to do it, another Eindhoven coming up). Same for Austrian and German shows - usually very nice events.

Don't know which of the traders you assume CAN nowadays make any money out of the QL scene, but that's definitely not me anymore. I think the time where J-M-S was running profitable or break-even has passed some years ago. But that's not the point. I avoided calculating the loss (just the travelling costs are enormous) - it's the fun that counts. I will for sure continue doing it for as long as possible, because I like the social side of it too - AT the show and before and after, just like Roy and Tony wrote. I am connected to the QL (or, more precise, the system SMSQ) in many ways. I use it. I like it. It has earned me money.
I wouldn't have seen half the world without the QL, I wouldn't have so many friends in so many countries and had met so many nice people without the QL, I'm very sure about this.
In less than 2 years, J-M-S will celebrate its 20th birthday .... well,
more than half of my total life connected to the QL - I can't think of leaving it.

Most of us had to reduce activities a bit - but that's natural. At the time when the QL was earning me some money, it was logical that I could dedicate more time to it. When this income was lost, alternatives had to be found and earning money costs time, quite natural. And this time had to be taken off QL activities.

I try not to complain, and I'm still trying to do my best in terms of support. Most of the readers probably do not really imagine what sort of effort it often takes to get QL Today out to readers every two months (thanks to Dilwyn, Roy, Bruce and the long list of every single contributor). The impact to other things is quite high, and as long as things are under my control I try to be extremely reliable. And the reliability and lack-of-response matters I raised some issues ago (to which you refer) have significantly improved. Sometimes things just need to be said.

So, some things just have to move a bit slower (which reminds me of the delay of the release of the high-colour stuff ...) but everything happens eventually. "Gut Ding will Weile haben" is a German saying,
which means (sort of) "Good things take their time".
I am still glad things are the way they are, because they could be worse (i.e. not much or nothing happening at all). A lot has happened over the last year; most of it is working fine - it still needs to be put into a distributable form. We are all working on it.

Whenever QL Today is in envelopes and in the post, so many other things need to be done which had to wait while I was preparing the magazine, that not much time remains until the next QL Today needs to be started. Pity, but reality. Since I had to start QL Today (it was all born out of desperation when IQLR suddenly disappeared ...) the programming time was more or less totally eaten up - as you can retrace easily. I still feel that QL Today is very, very important and has helped a lot during all these years it exists. Not much I can change here...

Out of the few hundred QL users there are probably as many usages of the system and maybe as many reasons to go to QL meetings or not.
But that's fine - because this individuality is what we all have in common.
I still use SMSQ for my daily work - QL related and not QL related.
This is not connected to being a QL dealer. Even if I had to stop being a QL dealer tomorrow (no, no, I don't plan to do this!!!!!) I would still use the QL. And even if I would not use SMSQ anymore (no, no, I don't plan to do this either!!!) I would still try to keep the contact to so many friends up. And I know from the past that keeping connected is easier if there is something which connects you, even if that's only the reason to meet or talk, not the subject.
I hope you will not give up the QL when you give up being a QL dealer - I hope you will still come to QL shows every now and then, enjoy them like we do .... and when you come to Eindhoven next time, just plan a bit more time in. Even Roy & Tony with their often tight ferry schedules make it for 2 hours to the Chinese - always a funny, interesting and enjoyable event.

Most of the things you say I agree with. And we do not just lose a QL Trader if you stop, we lose much more. And we also lose YOUR view of the QL scene - in talk and in your articles, often a critical view, often saying something which needs to said .. you too are part of the equilibrium you mention!
A very unique scene, impossible to describe, but definitely something I do not want to miss!

Jochen