----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [ql-users] QL2004

> That's pretty sad - both that you are leaving the QL World, and that you
should feel
> such a relief in doing so!
>
> You will be missed!
>
> Care to enlighten us about your reasons?
>
> Wolfgang

As promised, some detailed reasons. It is a long piece, about 1,700 words,
so I have done it as an attachment. It is in four sections, which can each
be read separately. One of the sections is positive.

Geoff Wicks
I am a proactive person. When I look back on my work life, I am proud of the two years
that I sat on the National Executive of my trade union/professional association.
Although I was not a nationally known figure, I increased membership in my region by
20% - 30% at a time when the union was in severe financial difficulties. I am proud of
the number of times in my work life I transformed non-functioning committees into
working bodies.

It goes without saying that I would relish the challenge to transform the QL scene.

The QL is in serious decline, but I am confident it could remain viable for some years
yet. QUANTA has over 300 members. Most of us know about 50 to 100 of them. They are
the "usual suspects" who attend shows. This means there are 200 - 250 QUANTA members
about whom we know little. They are remain loyal to their QLs and continue to
subscribe to QUANTA. Strange because PCs are now dirt cheap and, if you are not an
active member, QUANTA is frankly a waste of money.

The survival of the QL means getting these people back into the main stream. It means
having shows that are more than a room, coffee and tea. A person on the peripherals of
the QL community does not travel 10, 20, 30, or whatever, miles to come to a show and
drink a cup of tea. He will come if he wants to buy something from a trader. He might
come if there is a program to interest him. People act differently in a group than in
one to one contacts. Activities, talks and demonstrations get people reacting as a
group. Ideas breed ideas and ideas generate enthusiasm.

Over the last few weeks, I have initiated a discussion on QL shows that some may think
has been too provocative. The main benefit of this discussion is the clarity it has
given about what QL-ers in the UK expect from shows. Tony Firshman gave the game away
(and this is not intended  as a criticism of Tony) when he said the best show he has
ever attended was last year in Ireland when just 6 people were present. I think Tony
echoed what the majority of UK-QL-ers want. I am now convinced the lack of activity at
shows is not negligence; not laziness; and not a lack of skill in running shows. It is
what most UK QL-ers actively want.

This goes against all my instincts as someone who enjoys reviving moribund bodies, but
I find it quite understandable, particularly when I look at the present state of QL
businesses. Probably no QL trader now makes a profit. What I suspect has now happened
is that a point of equilibrium has been reached in which the businesses tick over and
the losses remain sufficiently constant to be absorbed in the other activities of each
trader. Anything that upsets this equilibrium is a threat, not just a perceived
threat, but a material threat. A threat that genuinely could spell the final death of
the QL.

There are many signs that this is an accurate analysis. Scarcely any traders' adverts
change from month to month. The UK has the largest QL community in the world, but,
apart from D & D systems, nothing exciting has come out of the UK for about 5 years.

I am satisfied that I am so out of tune with the rest of the UK QL community that my
continued presence would also upset that equilibrium.

Many of the people with whom you have to do business as a QL Trader are unreliable.
This is not just my opinion, but that of other traders. In volume 7 issue 3 of QL
Today Jochen wrote of his difficulty in getting replies to emails from some QL
traders. He gave as an example cases where he had placed orders with third parties on
behalf of customers. If that third party did not react to emails or failed to send the
goods promptly, then his (i.e. Jochen's) reputation as a trader was at stake. Does he
then tell the client he cannot get the goods because "the company is too unreliable".

Jochen referred to Tony Firshman having similar problems. About three years ago, Tony
invested hours of his time in building up an electronic database of QL members, which
has been to the benefit of every QL trader. It saves the expense of sending flyers by
snail mail, and is a form of free advertising for traders who cannot make it to shows.
Some traders never reply to his first request for copy, and he usually has to send two
more emails to get the copy in. His anger and frustration are clear from the text of
the second and third emails.

A few months ago a QL trader lost an order from me worth about `600 because he did not
reply to an email.

Just Words! makes a loss of about `100 a year. I estimate I could cut that deficit by
about 50% if all QL traders were reliable.

Most of Just Words! problems with other traders come after they have failed to deal
with a customer's problem adequately.

One trader told me he had bent over backwards to help a client, but gave up because he
was 80 years old and gaga. I discovered the client's two problems. He was using an old
version of a program and for some reason had missed out on the free upgrade that had
corrected a bug. He was also using a Trump Card to format HD disks and these were
unreadable on other systems.

A man approached the QL community for help in transferring his father's old QL files.
Although his only computing experience was Windows, he was brusquely told to use
"qltools". He had the distinct impression that the trader inferred that if he did not
know how to use qltools, then he should not be using a computer at all.

Another man bought a QL system with software. The trader had installed this, but did
not explain the software adequately. The client had never used the pointer environment
before, and when strange things started to happen on his screen he thought it was my
program that did not work. When I realised this, it took me about five minutes to get
him using his system.

It disturbs me that so many of these people are so humble, apologetic and
self-derogatory when they contact me. I could be be forgiven for thinking they were
seeking a personal appointment with God. Many are amazed to hear they have a right to
a good after-sales service. I wonder just what happens in their contact with some
other traders.

Helping people who have had a bad experience with another trader takes up much of my
time. It may also cost me money. Do I charge this to the client, or do I waive charges
for the greater good of the QL community?

Dealing with QUANTA in the pre-Bruce Nicholl's days, was a major headache. I lost
count of the number of times I sent software for review that disappeared without
trace. Scarcely anything I sent appeared in the QUANTA Magazine, not even a request
for reviewers, although they were constantly short of copy.

Once a review did appear. It was a brilliant and thorough review, but, alas, of the
wrong program. I had sent a new pointer version for review, but Quanta reviewed the
old non-pointer version. When I queried this I was told  the reviewer did not possess
the pointer environment and was asked why it was such an important point.

There were the times that adverts I had ordered and paid for did not appear, and other
times that adverts I had not ordered and not paid for mysteriously appeared. I gave up
on that one because it was working in my favour, although it meant I could never do a
concerted advertising campaign over several issues.

QUANTA once approached me for help in sending the magazine copy electronically to the
printer. I wrote a customised version of QL-2-PC Transfer free of charge to cater for
the magazine's specific needs. The editor never used it, because when I told him
electronic transmission could mean the printer making some final decisions on design
and possibly paging, he was frightened of losing control.

Finally, there was the time I was asked at one week's notice to write the Christmas
competition and to provide the prize. I not only did this, but also negotiated an
alternative prize from another trader. As a condition I made agreements over the
presentation of the competition to give it maximum impact. Every agreement I made was
broken with the result that the competition became impossibly difficult, the fun
element disappeared and there was only one, inaccurate, entry.

Many people will be critical of me for writing this, because the person concerned is
no longer able to defend himself. I accept that as a fair criticism. I have included
this because dealing with QUANTA was a strain and stress that lessened my Just Words!
pleasure. It also illustrates something about "goodies" and "baddies".

This man was no baddie. He was one of the most honourable, trustworthy and gentlemanly
people I have ever met in life. In spite of everything I still remember him with
respect and affection. It was his overzealous determination to do a good job, a job
that no one else would do, that got him into some terrible muddles.

If he had been a baddie, it would have been so much easier to tackle the problems.

The Just Words! deficit is about `100 per year. The Just Words! QL-Today advertising
bill is about `90 per year.

There was a good way of eliminating the Just Words! deficit at a single stroke that I
did not use.

Jochen has never let me down. Dilwyn has let me down only once, and that was because
someone else had let him down.

It has been a pleasure to do business with QL-Today.

There was potentially a better way for the QL.