On  Wed, 13 Aug 2003 at 23:10:33, Roy wood wrote:
(ref: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)

>In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Tarquin Mills
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>>
>>Tony Firshman wrote:
>>> ... but I find very few people think properly about termination.
>>> Unfortunately a simple scsi system will work (up to a point) with wrong
>>> termination (much like IDE).
>>>
>>> .... and SATA (serial IDE) is already here giving the possibility of
>>> chaining IDE devices.
>At the moment it is one device to each SATA port. I have never seen
>multiple devices supported or multi device cables.
I have an Asus P4P800 motherboard in use here right now that supports a
2 chain RAID SATA.
I only have one 160gb SATA drive on it though, but the cabling/power
connector is for two drives.
It certainly makes for very tidy cabling.

>>> I assume, Nasta, it is in no way compatible with qubide.
>>
>>Yesterday while in Maplin I saw a Serial-ATA to Ultra-ATA converter for
>>few pounds, I do not know if that would work.
>If you mean IDE on the motherboard to SATA device converters they are
>available - we sell them. I must try one out with a Qubide to see if it
>works. I do not think there is any software in the packet so I see no
>reason why not. I doubt if it would have any real advantage apart from
>the faster spin speed though..
Indeed. The main reason for SATA is to get the 1.5 throughput.

It is certainly very noticeably faster on my machine here.

--
         QBBS (QL fido BBS 2:252/67) +44(0)1442-828255
     tony@<surname>.co.uk  http://www.firshman.co.uk