On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 16:03:27 +0100, Tony Firshman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snip>
he he - I thought you would 'like' that.

Actually I have to thank you for discovering a bug in M2. I have to let them know about it :-)

Better than being there often.
... and have you noticed how it cleverly passes the highlighted text to
CTRL V outside.

Actually no better than being there often... I'd rather be in Athens, Greece right now than in humid Indiana, PA :-D

I would add Robin Barker and Ron Dunnet to that.
I suppose (very reluctantly) Falkenburg.  I won't tell you my stories
about his keyboard interface publicly.

Yes but Robin Barker and Ron Dunnet do not trade anymore (or do they?) As for Falkenburg I have never seen on of his products although heard some horror stories about them ;-) Nonetheless from what I remember despite the problems he carried a significant weight of QL hardware development.

That, we believe ONLY IF WE WANT ;-)
It was true - honest....

Hehe, I really cannot believe you. As Darren once told me on the phone, it is ILLEGAL to stay sober in Ireland (hic!) :-D

<Snip re gene therapy-or-other-appearance-altering-procedures>

Indeed (8-)#

So what's the scoop on that?

<snip re endurance>

Then there must have been iron spikes in my trousers.
It is Stuart who is the fit one. I must confess on one very steep hill,
I borrowed Stuart's bike with gearing that can go up vertical surfaces.
He took my bike and both rucksacks!

Hmm well word on the "street" is that you can carry your cycling weight more than adequately :-D

<heat guns>
Maybe on the next show if you attend it, you could give me a few pointers?
The next US you mean?  No good as mine is 240v.  You would have tyo
bring your own.

Of course ;-) Unless we use an inverter... I doubt it though that I can find an inverter powerful enough for a heat gun (unless we want to verify that "smoke theory of electronics ":-)

Certainly - remind me nearer the time.
Now that is an idea.  People complain that there are no longer any
talks.  I could give a QL hardware repair talk along with de-soldering
demos.

That would be great. I would even record you and the transcript would appear in the FAQ :-)

<snip re DIN-64 connectors' tolerance to heating>

I will be noting all this for reference of course. Indeed I have picked
up more info regarding soldering/desoldering and rework from this list,
you and Zeljko than anybody else. You and Nasta are the reason that my
Aurora has now proper IDC connectors everywhere

Arghh yes. What a stupid decision it was not to put them on.

Probably cost although I don't see why. Nasta has always complained about this. Properly keyed connectors can save you a lot of trouble (not to mention that they look neat ;-)

I went to enormous troubles to get the proper sockets made - had to have
them specially made for me, only to find no Aurora's (bar yours) have
the proper sockets.  I asked Ron how much he paid for his DIL plugs, and
then found the 'proper' ones cheaper!

My point exactly... Proper ones if bought in sufficient quantities are a lot cheaper. I have also found "slip on" shrouds for the semi-IDC used on the aurora that can add the flair ;-)

I know of two RomDisqs that have been destroyed.
My Aurora convertor is labelled, and the RD is fitted over the pcb.
The unlabelled ones illogically fly outside the pcb.

I know exactly what you mean. Although my ROMDISQ was spared I did do at least once the mistake...

(plus extra power pins). My desoldering pump although powerful is
really for the dogs and without proper info I would have never been
able to pull it off ;-)
Pull what off the dogs?

Haha pull-it-off as in managing to properly desolder-solder the DIN 64 connectors (Too impatient to wait for new ones although I probably should... they are only a dollar or so a piece (per piece)

Regards,

Phoebus

--
Visit the QL-FAQ at: <http://www.dokos-gr.net/ql/faq/> (Still uploading stuff!)