On  Sun, 12 Oct 2003 at 10:38:12, Roy wood wrote:
(ref: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)

>You could also try the Kyocera FS1010 which has an EPSON emulation
>built in but some of the characters are a bit odd. I am sure that a
>suitable translation could be done if some one wanted to do it. (One
>example is the pound sign comes out as two hearts and a hash symbol
>from quill. Quite how one symbol turns into three I have no idea.)
Probably akin to UTF-8 in web browsers - a way of using 7-bit data for
8bit characters.  ... although why should  printer should need to do
this?

>By the way Tony - of course a dot matrix is more reliable than an
>inkjet or laser printer. This is the same reason that a bicycle does
>not suffer from a cracked cylinder head or some such thing. It is just
>not as sophisticated and does not have so many moving parts. On the
>whole, though, the output is pretty bad in comparison to even the
>cheapest inkjet. You can still by new dot matrix EPSON printers with
>the emulations intact but they are often more expensive than laser
>printers because the manufactures can only sell you a ribbon as a
>consumable and there is not a great need for these because they last so
>long. On a laser they can sell you drums, fusers, toners and, in HPs
>case even the tractor pads wear out and need replacing! Masses more
>profit there! Cynical, me?
Indeed yes.
I find it incredible that on some cheap colour inkjets, if you want to
use the manufacturers products, it is often cheaper to buy a new printer
(with packaged cartridges)

--
         QBBS (QL fido BBS 2:252/67) +44(0)1442-828255
     tony@<surname>.co.uk  http://www.firshman.co.uk
       Voice: +44(0)1442-828254   Fax: +44(0)1442-828255
              • ... Marcel Kilgus
              • ... Marcel Kilgus
              • ... Marcel Kilgus
              • ... desin