In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Marcel Kilgus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
<SNIP>
Pitty. The new versions do wonder for disc access speed.

Which is about the only little thing that would be of some interest for me, although I heard it was an Atari fastram style workaround rather than a clean removal of slaveing, and caused other bugs. (I can't judge that.) However it is not worth accepting your license (for me, IMHO).

Peter

This is actually completely misleading. I sold my Q40 a long time ago but I still have Joachim's one here (because no one wanted to buy it). I put it all back into a case and put my old hard drive into it so I could test the new versions of SMSQ/E as they were sent to me. I first tried some of the versions of SMSQ/E that gave me problems on my old board and they still gave problems on this one. No version later than 2.91 was really reliable even when patched with the extra code. I found floppy formatting often failed and there were other problems. I am now happily running SMSQ/E v 3.01 on it. It is 100% more reliable, much faster, the floppy formatting is solid it has the new WMAN in glorious high colour and, in general it works much better. There were one or two teething problems when the code changed to incorporate the faster memory but there were in the original code and just shown up by the new code. (That is right isn't it Marcel?).

To bury your head in the sand and say that the new version is no use to anyone is pure sour grapes and I suspect doing the users a disservice. It may be that the Q60 needs other changes to make it work. I don't have one and I cannot try it but, if you choose to ignore the new versions, you are not getting the best out of the machine.
--
Roy Wood
Q Branch. 20 Locks Hill, Portslade, Sussex.