1. No longer possible in the UK, banks stopped them end of either last
year or year before. We couldn't take them here, didn't know they'd
still be accepted in Ireland!

2. Back in DJC days...If the cheque was in the correct currency of the
country where it was used for payment, correctly completed and
supported by the Eurocheque card guarantee number on the back of the
cheque, and for upto £100, there was a standard flat fee (it was
either 90pence or £1.90, forget which) which made it one of the
cheaper payment options for small orders from continental Europe at
the time, even if many of the local bank clerks didn't know what to do
with them! A few cheques came in for over £100, or incorrectly
completed, or without card number, then I got stung as though it was
an ordinary foreign currency cheque. Then the Euro came along and
things got more complex.

3. From a bank charges standpoint, you are probably better off going
for a card payment system like Paypal or similar.

4. Might prove cheaper, though slightly less secure, to take payment
in draft, cash or slightly better, Travellers Cheques. But travellers
cheques can be as insecure as cash, so make sure you get the customer
to make them payable to you and only you, can't remember the details
of how and haven't got any here to look at, but basically fill in a
payee name, ensure it is account payee (or travellers cheque
equivalent) only - again this was advice given to me in DJC days and
might be out of date by now.

5. Since you are able IIRC to take ordinary GBP payments, why did you
get a Eurocheque for a British order, or did the customer not know?

Can you let me know what forms of payment you can take, as it will be
easier to direct European orders for Launchpad to you, as customers
can pay you in Euros.

Dilwyn Jones
> Just a query regarding Eurocheques. Mostly for the traders this one,
but
> any advice welcome...
>
> Typically, I have never had to deal in Eurocheques, as most of the
orders I
> process for Q-Celt come in via the Uk and I usually get UK personal
cheques
> or bank drafts, and sometimes cash.
>
> However, I recently got an order, and the customer paid by
eurocheque.

> On going to my bank (which I WORK for!!) I was told there would be a
15
> euro charge for processing the eurocheque, plus I would be open to a
charge
> from Deutsche Bank also (an unknown amount, but probably something
similar
> to the one my bank were charging) as it would have to be sent to
them for
> cashing!!
>
> The cheque was for 48 pounds sterling - and nearly half of this
would have
> gone on charges if I had cashed it.
>
> Is this correct?  How on earth are eurocheques therefore usable at
all,
> unless dealing in huge amounts? Am I doing something wrong?

  • ... Darren . Branagh
    • ... gwicks
    • ... Roy wood
    • ... Dilwyn Jones