In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes

Your experience is why they are best avoided ... the charges involved are crazy.

I had a similar experience just to get Euros in cash from a bank. It would have cost half of the value just for the conversion and then take several days.

Whereas a Post Office with a Bureau de Change does it instantly with no charge other than the actual conversion rate.

So, easier to risk sending Euros in cash.

Just a query regarding Eurocheques. Mostly for the traders this one, but
any advice welcome...

Typically, I have never had to deal in Eurocheques, as most of the orders I
process for Q-Celt come in via the Uk and I usually get UK personal cheques
or bank drafts, and sometimes cash.

However, I recently got an order, and the customer paid by eurocheque.

On going to my bank (which I WORK for!!) I was told there would be a 15
euro charge for processing the eurocheque, plus I would be open to a charge
from Deutsche Bank also (an unknown amount, but probably something similar
to the one my bank were charging) as it would have to be sent to them for
cashing!!

The cheque was for 48 pounds sterling - and nearly half of this would have
gone on charges if I had cashed it.

Is this correct?  How on earth are eurocheques therefore usable at all,
unless dealing in huge amounts? Am I doing something wrong?

-- Malcolm Cadman
  • ... Darren . Branagh
    • ... gwicks
    • ... Roy wood