On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 15:57:25 +0000, Tony Firshman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 at 10:38:36, =?iso-8859-7?B?IlBob2VidXMgUi4gRG9rb3MgKNbv3+Lv8iDRLiDN9Pzq7/IpIg==?= wrote: (ref: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 13:52:22 -0000, Dr Colin F Parsons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Sounds like an old pre ide, RLL or some other format HD

I think so too, most likely an MFM Seagate ST-506 drive such as ST- 251-0 or ST-251-1)
Indeed - I too think it was an MFM drive.
I think an old Amstrad 1640 drive would probably do the job.
Search for the drive ID on the internet - I am sure you will get all the
info you need from there.

To open the case, push the plastic centre tab of the clips into the
case.  The tabs then pull out easily.  Make sure you find the 4 (?) buts
- and they can be pushed in from the outside to re-lock.

Very first thing to do though is clean the pcb ROM connector contacts
first.  They need cleaning every few months- I bet you have _never_ done
it (8-)#
Miracle should have used gold plated contacts.
You might find the drive springs to life and can be re-formatted.
Alternatively you might find some of the connectors inside need
cleaning.  Breaking and remaking internal connections should be all that
is necessary.

Depending on the drive (where the actuator stepper motor is located) he could even reanimate the life with as simple a procedure as rotating the actuator spindle (if for example it is a drive with external actuator motor). Most drives weren't auto-parking these days and the actuator may be just stuck ;-)
Old Western Digital drives (mfm/rll/xt bus and AT bus) and Seagates have been "restored" that way. I think some Rodimes can be too as well as some Microscience drives.

--
Visit the QL-FAQ at: <http://www.dokos-gr.net/ql/faq/> (Still uploading stuff!)
Visit the uQLX-win32 homepage at: <http://www.dokos-gr.net/ql/uqlx.html>