In a message dated 08/02/2004 16:16:53 GMT Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
Depending on the drive (where the actuator stepper motor is located) he
could even reanimate the life with as simple a procedure as rotating the
actuator spindle (if for example it is a drive with external actuator
motor). Most drives weren't auto-parking these days and the actuator may
be just stuck ;-)
Old Western Digital drives (mfm/rll/xt bus and AT bus) and Seagates have
been "restored" that way. I think some Rodimes can be too as well as some
Microscience drives.

Pulled the drive out - it is a miniscribe 8450 40Mb hard disk (ST506) - with the amount of dust inside there it's no wonder it no longer works.

Will try the various suggestions (though no sign of the actuator) and see what happens...

--
Rich Mellor
RWAP Services

Stuck with ordinary dial up internet connection ??
Read our review of internet accelerators and broadband at:
URL:http://members.aol.com/RWAPSoftware/reviews.html
            • ... Roy wood
              • ... Arnould Nazarian
              • ... Roy wood