On Mon, Feb 01, 1999 at 12:11:36PM -0500, Dave Sill wrote:
> Stopping spam is a worthy goal, but one must seriously consider the
> costs associated.

Not just "worthy."  For anyone running a large mail site it is
*necessary*.  What may be a minor annoyance to you represents a
potential DOS attack to me.

The costs associated with *not* blocking mail from large dialup pools
are for me far greater than the costs of blocking occasional real mail
from home-network Linux users on WorldNet.

Note also that, as Sam observed, if your ISP will set up your reverse
DNS for you in a way that distinguishes it from a random dialup user,
then you're home free.  You're safe as long as your network doesn't
look like "DYNAMIC-IP-192-168-666-666.BOZO-ISP.NET".  Hell, I work
from home and dial in to a regular old 33.6Kbps modem at my ISP.  But
since they've set up my PTR records at my request, I don't lose mail
from dialup blackhole lists.  Problem solved.

--
Regards,
Tim Pierce