Mate Wierdl writes:
   > Ps: this is ridiculous.

   The real problem is that /usr/lib/sendmail is serving double duty as an
   operating system binary and as an MTA selection switch. A solution to
   this problem appears in http://pobox.com/~djb/docs/etc-mta.html.

Well, the above doc says:

   Solution: UNIX vendors can move the sendmail binary elsewhere, and
   supply /usr/lib/sendmail as a symlink to the binary. OS upgrades
will
   change the sendmail binary without touching the symlink. The system
   administrator can safely change the symlink to point to his new MTA.

The RH sendmail binary is in /usr/sbin.  /usr/lib/sendmail is a
symlink.

In fact the situation is quite strange: some programs are patched to
use /usr/sbin/sendmail, and some are not (like emacs), so they use
/usr/lib/sendmail.

In any case, my point is that when I remove the sendmail package, rpm
does not complain at all.  So after upgrading, the system recognizes
that the qmail rpm is a sufficient replacement of sendmail.  Why not
do the same during upgrade?

Mate