Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how the time stamping mechanism works for
messages which propogate the internet. I have been looking for a
tutorial but found none. The archives provided help, and man datetime
did not.  I'm in one timezone and my mailserver in another, so have been
able to do some testing. Here are conclusions I've made based on the
results of my testing.

- The sending e-mail client sets the definitive time stamp in the
message header (Date:)

- The receiving e-mail client uses the Date: field for minutes and
seconds, but adjusts the hour according to the timezone changes
associated with the server hops recorded in the header?

Ok have your laugh, but how the hell else is the minute field conserved
(per what the sending client entered), yet the message arrives with the
correct local hour.

- I changed the localtime setting on the mailserver (in the other
timezone), but it didn't effect the arrival time shown within my mail
client? That is because qmail always lives in GMT, no?

And what if you have mail users who pop your server from different
timezones?

Cheers - eric