OK, by now I'm sure you've all heard about this thread that's
been going around about this program that connects to your
SMTP server, runs through a built in dictionary of addresses
verifying the validity of each address.  It then takes the results
and sends emails to the ones it knows exists.  It does something
like this.

On some other lists I'm on, people using Sendmail have been
going on and on about what can be done to fix it, why that fix
can cause other problems, blah, blah, blah.  Me being the almighty
QMail supporter (notice I didn't say almighty QMail expert), decided
to put my $0.02 in about how QMail was better than Sendmail and
this spam program was an example of why QMail is better.  Below,
you'll see a piece of the email I sent.  I said that it was better because
it blindly acknowledges VRFY or RCPT requests.  Then this guy emails
this response back (he's probably subscribed to this list).

I can see this guy's point, but I still feel that if you were subjected to
this attack, you'd be much better off with QMail than Sendmail, but I
can't really come up with any concrete facts as to why even though I'm
sure there are some.  Does anyone know of any good reasons as to why
QMail is better suited to handle this attack?  I'm sure there must be some
because no one on this list seems to worried about it.

Thanks,

Rick McMillin
I-Land Internet Services