On Wed, Mar 10, 1999 at 12:59:21AM -0700, Brad (Senior Systems Administrator -
Americanisp, LLC.) wrote:
> only problem with that is:
> the software that they are talking about sends just one RCPT
> TO request per stream.  it opens up another connection to
> brute force the possibility of existing addresses.  (From
> what I understand of all this)...

No it doesn't (at least as I read the description on the web page)
See
    http://www.l8r.com/nwa/nwa1.htm

> All that needs to be done
> to avoid this is to create a patch which has a variable or
> something that can be set to threshold "denies" of invalid
> requests.  maybe even puts them in /etc/tcp.smtp 'addy':DENY
> or something ;) heh

If it would behave "single streamed", your solution wouldn't work either,
as for an unpatched qmail-smtpd there isn't such a thing as "invalid
requests" if testing a dictionary with syntactically correct RCPT TO
lines against it.

If you patch qmail-smtpd to keep (centralized) track on incoming connections
per time period and lock out those which are over some threshold this
will probably work as long as you are not a bigger site with many users
subscribed to a mailing list that is distributed via qmail.
In the latter case you'll probably notice a similar behaviour.

        \Maex

--
SpaceNet GmbH             |   http://www.Space.Net/   | In a world without
Research & Development    | mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] |   walls and fences,