I didn't want to reply to this since I have no experience with
this case, but since it's been a few days with nothing
constructive, I'll tell you what I think, and trust others to
correct me.

On the qmail list [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>I have a domain (rezidew.net) with a dedicated 24/hr connection. I have
>a friend with a machine not on my domain (friend.someother.net). My
>question is this: Since his machine may be down for days at a time, how
>do I queue mail for him when he's offline?

>Sorry._Although_I'm_listed_as_a_best-preference_MX_or_A_for_that_host,/it_
>isn't_in_my_control/locals_file,_so_I_don't_treat_it_as_local._(#5.4.6)/
>[/!error]
>
>I don't want the mail delivered locally so what do I do?

Two solutions:

First one is to set DNS so that he is the primary and you are
the secondary, as suggested previously.  I don't like that,
since your friend's machine may be down for days at a time, and
maybe (I'm extrapolating) up for only a short time at a time.

Second solution is yes, you do want the mail delivered locally.
You want to deliver it to a special queue for your friend, a
queue that is local to your machine.  When your friend goes
online, you want some way to know that, and when you receive
notification that your friend is online you trigger the delivery
of that queue to your friend.

I think the package you want is serialmail
(http://pobox.com/~djb/serialmail.html).

Again, I have never set up something like this, and never used
serialmail, so I invite corrections ....

--
#include <std_disclaim.h>                          Lorens Kockum