On the qmail list [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>       ALL?  I doubt it.  I'm willing to bet they have a mailserver
>       that accepts port 25 connections from the dialups, and
>       relays the mail.
>
>Right.  But you can't access any other mail servers. Only theirs.  I
>don't want to send out mail for my personal domain or the site I consult
>for through a different server.

s/ for my personal domain/ from my personal domain/

Privacy, is that it?

>       Wrong. It stops the whackamole spammers, responsible for a great
>       deal of the spam today (I'd guess between 40 and 90%, mrsam
>       surely has some stats to share), and the most difficult to stop.
>
>Really ? Why not get your mailserver configured to not relay ?

Relay-rape spammers and whackamole spammers are not the same
thing.  In fact, in something probaly approaching 100% of relay
rape spam, a whackamole spammer is involved. Between them they
probably account for much more than 90% of internet e-mail spam.

>Really ? To me the only thing it accomplishes is showing the ISP's
>customers that they aren't trusted - "You might send out spam, therefore
>no one can use other mail servers".

That's what it means, yes, but it also accomplishes something
else, which is stopping spam at the source, before it does any
damage.

>I mean, the only thing that
>blocking port 25 from the paying ISP customers does is keep them from
>sending out email of any sort, legitimate or not, from some other mail
>server..

No.  What blocking port 25 from the paying ISP customers does is
keep them from sending out email of any sort, legitimate or not,
without relaying through the ISP mailserver.

I don't understand what "from some other mail server" means in
your sentence.  If "other" means "outside the ISP", the the ISP
has nothing to do with it.  If "other" means "ISP dialup", then
of course you can use it.  Only that mailserver has to use the
ISP mailserver.

>       If you are a polite client as well as being responsible and
>       willing to sign a paper or two, an ISP will probably make an
>       exception for you.

No reaction?  (I wrote the above)

>       I would consider that blocking port 25 is a positive thing when
>       choosing an ISP; I see that 1) the ISP is anti-spam, and I won't
>
>No.. They are anti "SOURCE" of spam.  As I said, they don't want to
>originate it.

That's being a responsible net citizen, IMNSHO.

>  This shows me that they don't trust the clients to not
>send out spam.

Correct.

>How does blocking port 25 indicate they can run round the clock servers

Because otherwise their clients would get angry when the
mailserver fell over.

>?  I handle 5 machines and non of them have any relaying on their email
>and run reliably.

Wonderful.  Good for you.  What has relaying to do with it?

>Thats just it, they DON'T handle my incoming email.  They are a backup
>ISP, they do NOT handle any mail for my domains only for the email
>account at their domain (which I don't use).

I suppose they have other clients ... Well, basically, you don't
trust them, is that it?  At least not enough to relay through
them when your primary ISP is not giving you net access.  Why
not?

--
#include <std_disclaim.h>                          Lorens Kockum