>Usually when having POP3 errors the best thing to do is to telnet into the
>pop3 port and issue the commands manually.
>
>Are you sure he was using the right password?  Perhaps when you were
>changing your cdb, he realized that he was using the wrong password, and
>fixed it, and was then too embarassed to tell you.

Yes I asked him over and over again and even changed the password.
He testet both Eudora pro and Netscape on two different computers while I was
talking with him on the phone .. I even tailed the maillog to see what was going on.
I saw the login failure and it was no passwd error .. it seemed like tcpserver removed
the domain from the recipient before passing it over to smtpd.

Heres a paste:
Jan  6 09:57:43 pop vchkpw[2398]: Failed login attempt with unknown 'tordis@'
Jan  6 09:57:43 pop vchkpw[2398]: pop: Failed to find user in vpasswd

Then I give it a try:
Jan  6 10:19:02 pop vchkpw[310]: (virtual, USER/PASS) Login from [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I know he hadn't set it up wrong because he has several other accounts on another
domain hosted on the same server and those worked allright for him, and I also
went trough the setup with him several times.

And then, while I had him on the phone I put his ip into the tcp.smtp and took a
rebuild,
and voila ...
Jan  6 10:38:01 pop vchkpw[774]: (virtual, USER/PASS) Login from [EMAIL PROTECTED]

So what went on here ?