On 6 Jan 1999, D. J. Bernstein wrote:

> Edward S. Marshall writes:
> > because the license sits better with me
>
> Have you actually read the IBM Secure Mailer license?
>
> The license demands that you stop using the IBM Secure Mailer upon IBM's
> request. You are explicitly required to destroy every copy you possess
> of the IBM Secure Mailer.
>
> The license also gives IBM special rights over all enhancements to the
> IBM Secure Mailer. If you distribute an IBM Secure Mailer add-on, for
> example, then IBM can turn your add-on into an IBM commercial product
> without your permission.

Have another re-read. My interpretation is that they'll only control
your mods if you send them to IBM. The following paragraph is the
important one here (my capitalisation below).

    "You grant IBM a world-wide, royalty-free right to use, copy,
    distribute, sublicense and prepare derivative works BASED UPON ANY
    FEEDBACK, including materials, error corrections, Software
    Derivatives, enhancements, suggestions and the like THAT YOU
    PROVIDE TO IBM relating to the Software."

So, if I make a mod, but don't give then any direct feedback, its mine
and not theirs.

I'm not a lawyer of course :)

Regards
Peter
Peter Samuel                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Technical Consultant                        or at present:
Uniq Professional Services,                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
a division of X-Direct Pty Ltd
Phone: +61 2 9206 3410                      Fax: +61 2 9281 1301

"If you kill all your unhappy customers, you'll only have happy ones left"