"D. J. Bernstein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>The license demands that you stop using the IBM Secure Mailer upon IBM's
>request. You are explicitly required to destroy every copy you possess
>of the IBM Secure Mailer.

Jeeze! I must have been half asleep when I read the license. I
completely missed this paragraph:

    In the event an intellectual property claim is made or appears
    likely to be made with respect to the Software, you agree to
    permit IBM to enable you to continue to use the Software, or to
    modify it, or replace it with software that is at least
    functionally equivalent.  If IBM determines that none of these
    alternatives is reasonably available, you agree, at IBM's request,
    upon notice to you, to discontinue further distribution of the
    Software and to delete or destroy all copies of the Software you
    possess.  This is IBM's entire obligation to you regarding any
    claim of infringement.

So I guess there's roughly no chance any Linux or BSD distribution
will ever switch to Postfix. IBM could, essentially at a whim, recall
Postfix. That makes qmail's redistribution requirements look a whole
lot more reasonable.

>The license also gives IBM special rights over all enhancements to the
>IBM Secure Mailer. If you distribute an IBM Secure Mailer add-on, for
>example, then IBM can turn your add-on into an IBM commercial product
>without your permission.

This appears to apply only to stuff you hand to IBM.

>The license also prohibits all use of ``the name "IBM" or any other IBM
>trademark without the prior written consent of IBM.'' Apparently you
>aren't even allowed to criticize the IBM Secure Mailer without IBM's
>permission.

Guess that's why they call it Postfix.

>And that's supposed to be free software?

-Dave