At 04:33 PM 3/9/99 -0500, Craig I. Hagan wrote:
>what you can do is remove ALL of the fsync calls
>in qmail. This will DRAMATICALLY speed up queue
>operations as it allows the OS (e.g. linux/freebsd) to
>take full advantage of their filesystem cache. The
>risks of doing this should be obvious. OTOH, for
>bulk mailings this is a phenomonal way to get
>a speed boost.
>
>If anyone else does this, pls give me the numbers as i am
>curious.

FWIW, I did this, a while back, on a Solaris 2.6 Sun machine.
I send several hundreds thousand unique emails a day (not spam).

First, I did it with qmail-send: I did not notice any significant improvement.

Then, I did it with qmail-queue: qmail-send did not like it (got something
like "Sorry, message has wrong owner"). I never got to investigate (I
recall the problem was in spawn.c though).

David.
David Villeger
(212) 972 2030 x34

http://www.CheetahMail.com