From: Pike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
:># First of all, consider these:
:># * You have to deinstall sendmail before starting to install qmail.
:>this is completely untrue, the docs tell you to KEEP SENDMAIL RUNNING
while
:>you install qmail
:
:true ! thanks. I installed from an RPM - see Martin's mail.

This is a Redhat/RPM dependency problem, not a qmail problem.

:OK..so why call it qmail-pop3d and ship it with the package ?
:It looks to me as if the Qmail gods intented me to use the tool
:to pop. Sure, use anything else .. be creative ..

You're thinking in sendmail terms.  The qmail "package" includes a whole
suite of programs, which may or may not be of use to the person who is using
them.  The fact that a pop3 server is included does not mean that you are
required to use it.

:Question is: can you sell qmail as a cool tool to a moron like
:me who just popped a RedHat CD out of a box ? Because really,
:this _is_ the way it's presented, at http://www.qmail.org

I don't believe that this is the way it's presented.  If that's what you got
then perhaps you aren't reading carefully enough.  (but then, we knew that
already, didn't we?)

:>you should install on a test box before you attempt the real thing!
:>that is common sense
:
:That would be a nice warning on the qmail homepage !

It would be nice if everyone read the docs.

:[snip]
:>dotforward works fine
:[snip]
:>fastforward works WONDERFULLY
:
:I'm very happy for you, but if it don't work
:here and it does work there...
:...what's the use of barfing ?

If it doesn't work for you, then it's because you haven't set it up
properly.

You don't appear to even have a handle on the basic precepts of being a
system administrator.  I suggest you walk down to your local Barnes and
Noble and pick up a few O'Reilly books.

PS, why don't you get rid of that ludicrous mac signature.

--Adam