"Pavel V. Piankov" wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 29, 1999 at 09:03:22AM +0100, Chris Green wrote:
> > Again I would point out that fully 90% of the people who are now
> > running Linux boxes probably depend on RPMs to install *everything*.
>
> Nope ... I`ve first seen a deb of qmail ... installed it on debian test box
> just to taste what it is like and it works fine till now.
> I wouldn`t install it via deb on a production box tho.

When I installed my first linux box (a RH 5.1) and began being
more familiar with it (I had very little Unix knowledge), it
didn't take much time to me to understand that a package like
Sendmail would NEVER do what I expected from it if I didn't
take some time to download the latest, read the docs, try to
install it properly from SRC (btw, being able to compile such
packages proves your system is not to bad), then configure it.
Come on... are you going to modify the /etc/sendmail.cf file
a good way if you don't even know about m4 ?! I chose linux
because I couldn't stand having to change strange and hazardous
things in '95 register without understanding anything.

I've done the same with qmail. All from the source, only.

Concerning RPMs, I don't thing
they are a very serious thing. When you see that RH systems
are not even able to find out that a RPM you want to install
is not present on the system... you know, that --force option...
Com'on... source rules. RPMs only help when you install the
whole system and expect most things to be approximatively done
as a beginning to the real job YOU are going to do.

Fabrice

--
"Le cretin pretentieux est celui qui se croit plus
intelligent que ceux qui sont aussi betes que lui."