On Thu, Jun 17, 1999 at 12:06:11PM +0545, HTP Communication Pvt. Ltd wrote:

*smile* Exchange is trying to be clever by parsing the output of its EHLO
to qmail-smtpd! That's a first.

Anyway, qmail *does* support ETRN - it just doesn't advertise it. You'll
need to do 2 things: First, download serialmail-0.75, install it, read the
AUTOTURN file and setup the necessary configuration for your customer. Your
current setup doesn't sound right.

Secondly, you'll have to patch qmail-smtpd.c to make it advertise ETRN.
It's a very simply patch. Look for the following code in qmail-smtpd.c:

void smtp_ehlo(arg) char *arg;
{
  smtp_greet("250-"); out("\r\n250-PIPELINING\r\n250 8BITMIME\r\n");
  seenmail = 0; dohelo(arg);
}

And change it to:

void smtp_ehlo(arg) char *arg;
{
  smtp_greet("250-");
  out("\r\n250-PIPELINING\r\n250-8BITMIME\r\n250 ETRN\r\n");
  seenmail = 0; dohelo(arg);
}

And then recompile with "make". Finally, copy the new qmail-smtpd binary
from this source directory to your qmail bin directory.

Maybe DJB can add this to his TODO list for qmail 2.0. I've also been
contemplating doing something about the SIZE parameter of ESMTP. qmail
does support a size limit for incoming mail, but doesn't advertise it - as
a consequence, big messages end up being transmitted, before they are
rejected. Thing is, I'm not good with C programming, and don't feel
comfortable with making major code changes. DJB: Any comments?

--
Anand