On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, gene Campbell wrote:

> I just tried this howto.  It is the best one yet for helping understand
> this system.  But, I still can't get smtp to work. That is if I send from
> another place to my system with qmail, it is bouced back.  I get this
>
> ___
> Hi. This is the qmail-send program at mail.surfup.com.
> I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
>
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Sorry. Although I'm listed as a best-preference MX or A for that host,
> it isn't in my control/locals file, so I don't treat it as local. (#5.4.6)
> ---
>
> I feel like I'm getting somewhere with this.  But, I have no idea how I'm
> going to get POP mail working.

what should mail.surfup.com do with the mail for surfup.com?

do ONE ONLY of the following:

if it should deliver it locally put
surfup.com into control/locals
   delivery is now done to local users

if surfup.com is one of many individual domains then put
surfup.com:username-surfup into control/virtualdomains
   delivery is now controlled by ~username/.qmail-surfup-*

if it should deliver to somewhere else then put
surfup.com:[ip.address.of.somewhereelse] into control/smtproutes
   mail will be forwarded to the host on the ip address inside the square
   brackets. you could put a hostname in there if you like.