The system is a Linux box, PII 450, 128meg o ram.  It's doing nothing but
this mail list, but the mail list is using Java, which makes the system
crap as far as I'm concerned, but hey, that's out of my control, so I have
to deal with it.

I just got word that their program does not shell out to spawn mail
processes, but rather communicates directly with smtp, so unless they have
some control over this, it doesn't look like I'll be able to call anything
directly.

Heh, the load average on this thing is averaging around 20 which is just
bad.

I just sent out 300 messages using qmail-remote in about 4 seconds.
*sigh*, qmail remote is fast, but you have to pass it information like you
state below, such as the prefer MX host, which over course a simple perl
wrapper could find, but well...

I still remember qmail being very fast on other servers.  Why isn't my
concurrentremote filling up?  I see in logs an average of 1-3/75 and
that's it.

-jeremy

> At 02:47 PM Tuesday 7/13/99, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> >I'm trying to tune qmail to deliver outgoing mail as fast as possible.  We
> >have a mail list with about 100,000 subscribers.  I'd use ezmlm, but
>
> Over what time period and what sort of hardware?
>
> >Qmail, just from tailing logs doesn't appear to be spawning more then
> >about one delivery per second.  I have concurrentremote boosted up to 75.
> >What else do I need to do.  It doesn't appear to be working to its
> >capacity.  I've seen qmail do unbelieve amounts of work on other systems.
>
> Right. You haven't provided any information about resource utilization on
> your system. How busy are the disks? What else is happening? What does
> qmail-qstat say?
>
> What sort of concurrency do you get after all the mails have been injected
> into the queue. How long does the injection take?
>
> Btw. qmail-remote is not a direct replacement for any of the mail injection
> programs (qmail-inject, sendmail, qmail-queue) and if you wish to use
> qmail-remote directly you will need to provide all the queue and retry
> mechanisms that qmail provides.
>

> Regards.

http://www.xxedgexx.com | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Y2K.  We're all gonna die.