Read and follow the directions in Life with qmail
http://Web.InfoAve.Net/~dsill/lwq.html
exactly and you shouldn't have any problems.

qmail does not check your maildir, it only receives mail and delivers to it,
you must be talking about your mail client or a pop3/imap client. qmail has a
pop3 daemon that works with maildir very well and we use it at our isp. It's
VERY fast. in fact, qmail in general is faster than other solutions.

At 11:47 AM 8/8/99 , you wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have just tried to setup qmail, unsuccessfully!
>
> I wanted to use Maildir to store the mail which I got working ok, the only
> problem I was having was trying to receive mail and trying to send mail
> outside of my domain.
>
> I could send local mail ok but when I tried to pick it up it said there were
> no new messages. I assume it was accessing the old /var/spool/mail for
> message. Could not work out how to tell qmail to access /Maildir
>
> Trying to send mail outside of my domain resulted in a message saying " .....
> no relay" I checked the FAQ and did what it said, changed the line in
> inetd.conf, edited hosts.allow and added tcp-env: 203.57.50.: setenv =
> RELAYCLIENT but I still couldn't relay.
>
> Help!
>
> Regards,
>
> Steve