D. J. Bernstein writes:

> Johannes Erdfelt writes:
> > Only 76k per qmail-remote process was unique.
>
> Most of that, by the way, is bloat from the dynamic linker and the BIND
> resolver library. You can eliminate the dynamic linker (except under
> Solaris) by compiling statically. Eliminating BIND is more difficult.

Takes me about 9000 bytes to encode/decode RFC 1035 with error checking,
plus logic to try the nameserver list until I get an answer, with automatic
fallback to TCP upon response packet truncation.  The code is probably
multithreadable, although I haven't tried.

Does not include libc overhead.  On SysV boxes all the TLI garbage will
probably take even more overhead.

--
Sam